From .NET to Python on App Engine: Building a Blog on Google App Engine
Over the past few weeks I've been playing with Google App Engine. I find the best way to learn a new language/framework/platform is to just jump in and write something in/on it. So that's what I'm doing. I've decided to write my blog in Python for Google App Engine.
As I may have blogged about in the past, I wrote a blog engine in Microsoft ASP.NET MVC not so long ago with the aim of moving away from Blogger. It was around 90% complete when I abandoned it for a variety of reasons (one being Azure pricing).
It's entirely possible the Google App Engine blog engine will also be abandoned, but since the hosting is free it at least stands a good chance of seeing the light of day! It'll also make an interesting comparison to the ASP.NET MVC version.
I started writing code a few nights ago, and currently the blog stands at 159 non-blank lines. I'm actually quite impressed with how little code I've had to write to get up and running. Currently there's no back-end, but the displaying of posts, comments, tags and archives are all working. Here's a quick screenshot to prove it exists! :)
Over the coming weeks I'll blog about how I've built it (including code), the pitfalls and the the experience of moving from .NET and C# to Python and App Engine!