Over the last few days, I noticed Google Wave Notifier complaining of login issues. I finally got around to looking at the problem today, and unfortunately, it's not good...
With no Google Wave API, when I wrote Google Wave Notifier, I had to scrape the pages and parse text out of some JSON to figure out what your new messages were. Knowing this was likely to change, GWN was written to alert the user if the parsing failed, explaining there had probably been an update to Google Wave, and GWN would be updated soon.
Unfortunately, Google changed the way Wave works recently, and I've been unable to figure out a way I can make GWN continue to function without significant changes. Since Google are ditching Wave soon anyway, I've decided not to invest the time required to make these changes.
It was great fun to work on an open source project that was downloaded by thousands of users across the many versions, but sadly that journey has come to an end. I'd like to give a huge thank you to all of the people that used GWN and reported bugs, spurring me on to continue developing. And let's not forget everyone that contributed a translation, allowing GWN, unlike other Wave notifiers, to be used all around the world.
I'm sure I'll find other little projects to work on with some of the spare time I have, and I'll be sure to post updates here. Subscribe to the RSS Feed or follow me on Twitter for updates!