I'm not the only person having these problems, so I thought I'd post the solution here for all...

After hearing that IE8 will be offered via Windows Update next week, I decided to install it on my home PC running Windows Vista. I've been using it since it RTM'd at work with some major stability issues, but I put them down to my machine rather than IE. Oh, how I was wrong!

After the usual install and reboot cycle, I opened IE8. I turned off the usual trash (Accelerators, Web Slices, Compatibility View for Intranet sites, etc.) and went to hide the nasty favourites bar. Only, I couldn't. Right-clicking on the favourites bar didn't give a context menu. So I tried View » Toolbars » Favourites - the option was disabled!

I proceeded to Google, doing the usual middle-click on results to open them in new tabs. Every new tab I opened just sat with "Connecting..." in the tab title. The content was blank.

This isn't looking good...

I swiftly disabled all the non-MS addons (and Fiddler, thinking that could potentially break connections). No change.

I fired up Event Viewer and found an "Internet Explorer" event log. This would be an interesting find if the entire log wasn't blank. Great!

I opened up My Computer and navigated to my system drive. WTF - it opened in a new window. I checked folder options - it's still set to "open each folder in the same window". I don't like that :(

Rolling back to IE7 is now a serious option. This isn't what I've come to expect from Microsoft!

After a little more Googling (using Chrome, ofcourse) I found I wasn't the only one having these issues. Fixes varied from broken addons to GoogleUpdater. Nothing seemed to apply to my problem.

Then I found a magic post. Someoe had run IE as Administrator and discovered his problems disappeared. Even better, when he ran as a normal user afterwards, things still worked! Worth a shot, eh?

Well, it worked. Running as Administrator worked fine. Running again as a normal user and everything continued to work. Specifically, I could now:

  • Hide the IE8 favourites toolbar
  • Open new tabs without the "Connecting..." message/hanging
  • Open Windows explorer folders in the same window
  • Access toolbar context-menus

An interesting bug! I can't explain how it could happen, or why any errors/failures aren't written to the event log. All I can say is I'm glad it's fixed and I don't need to roll back to IE7!

You may also like Chromebook Comparison Chart, Drone Comparison Chart and how to easily split Amazon referrals between Amazon US and Amazon UK.

Don't forget to check out my kids on YouTube! Amazon Echo Dot (2nd Generation) Review, GP Toys Luctan S912 RC Car Review, Syma X5HC-1 Drone/Quadcopter Review.